P is for PIZZA: 10 Best Slices in NYC

P is for PIZZA: 10 Best Slices in NYC

Living in New York, I’ve always been lucky to have what I call “real” pizza at my fingertips.  “New York Style Pizza“, if you may.  Large, wide, thin, and foldable yet crispy.  There’s nothing better.  With so many restaurants to pick from (there is literally a pizza place on every corner), it is rather difficult to weed out the bad ones.  Not that there are more bad places than good, but how do you know which one to pick when there are just too many options?

It’s a nearly impossible task.  Ever thought about picking which child you like better?  I didn’t think so.  Almost as difficult as that.

I’ve managed to narrow down the list to # restaurants which I feel deserve “The Best Slice in NYC” award.

1) Patsy’s Pizzeria

Looking for a super economical slice without skimping on taste?

2) 2 Bros Pizza (also known in my book as $1 Pizza)

And this is not a grand opening special.  Something that is still going strong today.

3) Heading into Brooklyn?  DO NOT LEAVE without have some yummy Grimaldi’s goodness.  Take it down to the park near the bridge for a picnic you will never forget.

4) And if you’re ever out in the Queens area, be sure to check out Nicks Pizza

5) Famous Original Ray’s Pizza

6) Lombardi’s, the first pizzeria in the United States, established by Italian Immigrant Gennaro Lombardi in 1895 in New York City

7) Joe’s Pizza

8) Artichoke Basille’s Pizza & Bar

& yes, those are actual artichokes on the pizza, although they have a ton of other toppings to choose from.

9) Bleecker Street Pizza

Bleecker Street Pizza New York NY Nonna Maria Pizza Slice

Bring cash, no cards are accepted here.

10) Casa Nonna

Casa Nonna - Manhattan, New York

The most notable difference between New York-style and other American pizzas is its thin hand-tossed crust, made from a high-gluten bread flour. The flavor and texture of the crust has sometimes been attributed to the minerals present in the New York City water used to make the dough. Some out-of-state pizza makers even transport the water cross-country for the sake of authenticity. [source]

Do you have a favorite pizza topping?
I love olives and ricotta cheese!
Did you enjoy this post? If so, please consider sharing on Facebook, Twitter, or via Email. Also, I’d love to keep sending you updates about my adventures around the world, so please subscribe to A Passion and A Passport via RSS or by email!
// *THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. This means that if you make a booking after clicking on one of these links, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for the support and help keeping the site free of charge for everyone to enjoy!

20 Comments

• Shere says:

Hi Jessica,all the pizzas look amazing and I'm with you, my favorite ones are those thin and crispy. I'll save the names for when I come to NYC :)Shere http://www.shereypaul.com

• A couple of years ago on an eight-hour layover in NY, I stashed my luggage at the Greyhound station, hopped on a subway and tried to take in as many NY experiences as I could in that time. (Keep in mind I'm notorious for getting lost). Long story short, I went to what a NY co-worker had told me was the best place for pizza. I charged in to this tiny place, the guy scowled at panicking me, took his time and ended up serving me a cheese and pepperoni that I don't remember have a say in ordering. Anyway, it was delicious. I barely made my plane. I wish I could remember the name of the place. Visiting from A-Z. Cheers!

• Laeli says:

Oh you're making me hungry! I should plan a pizza tour :)

• Andrea says:

Oh those artichokes! This is great as my dad has been toying with planning a pizza crawl for us in NYC. Forwarding this to him now (as I drool, btw)

• Beautiful pictures! Artichoke is my favorite.

• Janice says:

I miss NY so bad…. took my nephew up for a week's vacation last year and got to wander about seeing so much of the area I used to call home (I lived in White Plains and LOVED Broadway Pizzaria. I still visit Mike the owner when I get back up there!)Stopping by from A to Z, hope you have a chance to stop by mine at http://janiceperson.com

• Janice says:

Oh, and my nephew LOVED Lombardi's. We got to walk through the kitchen to go upstairs. :)

• SJM says:

Artichoke is so good! The owners of Artichoke are actually hosting a pizza show on the cooking channel now.. PIzza Cuz. Have you seen it? It's on Monday nights at 9p EST. Here's a link to the site – http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/pizza-cuz.html

• JR Riel says:

There was something about this post that really got my taste buds going. Something so cool that I chose to feature it as my Top 3 in The Carnival of Drifter Bites! Thanks for your submission!Living in Kaosiung City, Taiwan, it can be hard to find good quality pizza, and since I lived in NY for four years, NY style pizza is my pizza of choice. This post really hit home for me.

• Karisa says:

Ah! Those pizzas all look SO amazing!! In Thailand, pizza is super expensive and not very good. I'm really looking forward to a NYC trip when I visit the US later this year. I'll be sure to check out some of your suggestions. :)

• planetlew says:

Mmm… makes me want to head back to NYC for pizza. A 6-hour flight for pizza isn't crazy is it??

• Anonymous says:

GRIMALDI'S IS OVERRATED.. TRY ANA MARIE ON N 7TH ST AND BEDFORD AVE, WILLIAMSBURG BKLYN.. A DUMPY STORE BUT GREAT SELECTION OF NON THIN SLICE SLICES.. UNDERGROUND PIZZA ON WILLIAMS ST JUST FACING STONE STREET AND HANOVER SQUARE, IN THE FINANCIAL DISTRICT, HAS GREAT ARTICHOKE SQUARES..AND THEN THERE'S DI FARA'S ON AVE J IN MIDWOOD SECTION OF BKLYN. ENOUGH SAID.HEAD TO ARTHUR AVE IN THE BRONX FOR GREAT ITALIAN FOOD ALSO.

• Anonymous says:

NYC has great pizza…join Scott's pizza tour and you'll become familiar with the best NYC pizza shops in and around the 5 boroughs.google..scott's pizza tours

PASSWORD RESET