N is for NEW YORK: top 5 tourist attractions

N is for NEW YORK: top 5 tourist attractions

I live in New York and have lived here my entire life.  I even went to undergrad and grad school in the lovely state.

However, visiting (and deciding what to do) in New York can be a pretty daunting task, especially those with only a few short days.  The city is huge, with so much to do around every corner, and so much to see in a bunch of different neighborhoods.

Theres no possible way to see the entire city in a few days.

Take it from me, a girl with 26 years of New York Life under her belt.  And I still haven’t done it all.  Not even close.

But, lucky you.  I’ve broken it down a little, giving you the top tourist attractions I feel every visitor to New York should experience.

1) See the Entire City from Top of the Rock

Standing on the Observation Deck of Rockefeller Center, you can see dramatic views of New York City, including Central Park, the Chrysler Building, Belvedere Castle, and the Empire State.  Views you probably won’t be able to see anywhere else.  With both indoor and outdoor viewing decks, you can hit this up no matter what the weather is.

2) See the making of Freedom Tower at Ground Zero

And also pay your respects at the 9/11 Memorial, a national tribute of remembrance and honor to the men, women, and children killed in the terror attacks of September 11th, 2003.

3) Spend a day exploring Central Park

With over 250 acres of lawn, 24,000 trees, 150 acres of lakes and streams, it is impossible to cover the entire thing.  I recommend renting a bike and cruising throughout as much as you can.  Stop by the Loeb Boathouse and rent a rowboat for some added fun.  Central park is gorgeous no matter the season.

4) Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge

Once across, spend the day lounging in Brooklyn Bridge Park.  With gorgeous views of the New York City skyline, you won’t ever want to leave.  And while you’re there, stop by Grimaldi’s Pizza to get a few slices.  You won’t regret waiting on line- I promise.

5) See a Broadway Show in the Theatre District

Know how I said these are all must-do’s for a first time New Yorker?  If you don’t do any of the above (shame on you!), then promise me you will see (at least one) broadway show during your time in the big apple.  Just do it.  Buy tickets here.

Have you ever been to NYC?
What was your favorite experience?

*** Check out N is for New York City – The 24 hour capital of the world! from Tourist Guide Central for more NYC attractions!

Did you enjoy this post? If so, please consider sharing on Facebook, Twitter, or via Email. Also, I’d love to keep sending you updates about my adventures around the world, so please subscribe to A Passion and A Passport via RSS or by email!
// *THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. This means that if you make a booking after clicking on one of these links, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for the support and help keeping the site free of charge for everyone to enjoy!

21 Comments

• Pat Garcia says:

Hi,I have visited New York many times and must say, it is an extremely interesting city. Thank you for taking me down memory lane. I have enjoyed getting re-acquainted with some of the sights.Ciao,Pat Garcia

• Love this! The only thing I would add is the Staten Island Ferry for the free and awesome view of the Statue of Liberty :) and perhaps the Highline in the summer 😀

• Ronnie says:

Definitely Statue of Liberty and I also love walking across the Brooklyn Bridge!! All great ideas though :)

• Aah! I went to NYC last summer and only did #2 on your list! (And that was only as a drive-by as part of a bus tour…) Oh well; I guess I'll just have to go back again! :)

• Cori Vidae says:

I've never been to New York City but we were thinking about going there on our next vacation. I'm a little hesitant because it's SO big with SO many people but… you may have just talked me into it :-p~ Cori

• Great post about New York City! I have visited NYC on several occasions and always found something new and interesting to see each time. I have never done the "Top of the Rock" as I have always climbed to the summit of the Empire State which is equally as impressive but you don't get the views over Central Park! I will definitely add this to my list on the next trip to the Big Apple!

• Charlie says:

I love New York! I think it's worth chasing down Alexander Hamilton's grave at Trinity Church, too. If you're into U.S. History at least ;). Next time I'm in town I'll have to get up to the Top of the Rock and finally see a show, too!

• Shere says:

I have been once to NYC, just for a day :'( so a longer NYC holiday is still in our bucket list

• My "N" was also for New York. Love your pics.

• Jessica says:

Thanks! I'll have to check yours out soon! :)

• This is one of the places that I really want to go. New York has always been so popular for its great edifices. There are lots of places in New York where you can take great pictures with. :)- MiamiExoticAutoRacing.com

• It is important that we look in the internet regarding information regarding our next vacation. It would be helpful tool for us to ensure that we know where is our next travel. Also visit the nearest travel company to help us decide on our travel.Destinations

• Chase Howard says:

Thanks for sharing this list! This summer, I am going to New York City for the very first time and I have been looking for a lot of things that I can do while I'm there. One of the first things that I am doing is taking a New York bus tour so I can see a lot of the city myself without having to walk around too much. I have always wanted to see a show in the city so that is definitely one of my many things that I want to do when I get there this year.

PASSWORD RESET