E is for Eiffel [tower]: A Climb to the Top

E is for Eiffel [tower]: A Climb to the Top

Back on my first real trip, while “backpacking” throughout Europe, a friend and I decided it was a good idea to climb the 674 steps to the second platform of the Eiffel Tower.  We could have been lazy and taken the elevator, but nah, we decided that some burning in our legs was worthwhile.  Until the next day that was, when we really felt the effect on our body.

So why did we decide to climb?

Well for one, it was cheaper.  Back then, we were poor college students who could hardly afford three meals a day (we literally ate baguettes and gelato every chance we got, not that I’m complaining by any means.)

And secondly, it was a nice way to burn off some of those calories from all the carbs we were consuming on a daily basis.  And let me tell you, despite our frugality, we managed to pack on the pounds throughout our trip.

And once we made it to the top, the views were to die for.

Some interesting facts about the most recognizable landmark of Paris:

The Eiffel Tower in Paris, nicknamed ‘The Iron Lady’, is considered to be the most-visited paid monument in the world.

The Eiffel Tower is painted every 7 years in 3 shades of brown, with the darkest shade at the bottom. Approximately 60 tons of paint is required to paint it.
Although it is impossible to imagine the city of Paris without the Eiffel tower today, it was widely criticized when it was built back in 1880s. In fact, people – including some prominent names from the art community of Paris, went to the extent of calling it an ‘eyesore’ and a ‘black blot’ on the picturesque landscape of the city.
9441 tons of wrought iron were used to build this monstrosity.
The names of 72 prominent French scientists and famous personalities are affixed on the sides of Eiffel Tower just beneath the first platform, 18 names per side.
In clear weather, which is seldom seen nowadays, you can see approximately 42 miles from the top of the Eiffel Tower. During gusty winds, the Eiffel Tower sways up to 15 cm at its summit.
Victor Lustig, a con artist notorious for his scams all over the world, posed as the deputy director-general of the Ministry of Posts and Telegraphs, and sold the Eiffel Tower to scrap dealer – Andre Poisson, citing that the city could not afford the maintenance of this structure anymore. Lustig is widely known as ‘The man who sold the Eiffel Tower. Twice.’, today.
Have you ever climbed to the top of the Eiffel Tower?
Did your legs burn just as much as mine?!
Did you enjoy this post? If so, please consider sharing on Facebook, Twitter, or via Email. Also, I’d love to keep sending you updates about my adventures around the world, so please subscribe to A Passion and A Passport via RSS or by email!
// *THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. This means that if you make a booking after clicking on one of these links, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for the support and help keeping the site free of charge for everyone to enjoy!

36 Comments

• Brett Minor says:

You are the first E post I have come across. I would love to see it. I would definitely take the stairs even if I could afford it. You probably got to see much more.Dropping by from the A to Z Challenge. It's my first year.Brett MinorTransformed Nonconformist

• Brett Domue says:

When I brought my (at the time) 60-year-old mother to Paris in July, 2007 – the lines at the Eiffel tower were so insane, we decided to walk up. It was a bit more than we bargained for, but we made it, and even still, probably quicker than waiting in the elevator line!

• Ruchira says:

I have never been to Paris so I haven't climbed to the top of Eiffel tower. But I climbed all the way to the top of St Paul's Cathedral in London and it did burn my legs. The view was breathtaking but the climb was rather claustrophobic !

• Nice post! It has been some time since I went to Paris. I should probably start thinking about revisiting it.I see we have both been bitten by that travel bug… If you ever run out of travel ideas you are very welcome to check out my travel blog.Also if you by any chance find yourself in Slovenia and need some local advice be sure to drop me a line.Keep travelling, have fun and don't stop blogging about it!

• Fantastic … been in Paris so many times, but only been up in the tower once … I'm surprised that nobody takes photos of all the fountains on the other side of the tower, they are so stunning a full garden of them. Admire that you walked up .. well done. Great post and fantastic photo gallery. I wish you good luck with the challenge.

• I've walked up all those steps, but it's definitely worth it when you see the view 😀

• I took the elevator! Your photos are so pretty…the day I went, it was raining and foggy, so we could hardly see the ground below, much less 42 miles away! Bummer. But still, we were in Paris — nothing to be sad about! Katie at AdventuringAtHome

• Elliot B says:

Awesome pictures as usual. You guys got some great weather for the day you were there. ElliotWe Are Adventure

• Marko says:

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I am glad you like it!Yes, you can also find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Travel.PB

• I'm really enjoying your posts and pics. Thanks for dropping by my Blog. A month of Blog…

• Shannon says:

You have some really great pictures and some fun facts that I didn't know. When I visited we took the elevator- mostly because it was freezing cold but also because it's so open and exposed and I was a bit of chicken.

• Rowena says:

Hi, I'm a fellow a-z blogger. I love Paris and have been up the Eiffel Tower twice now (I'm afraid I cheated and got the elevator). The views are gorgeous, Paris is an amazing city, so romantic and lots of great restaurants and cafes. Love all the facts you have included.http://designsbyrow.blogspot.com/

• Lisa says:

How I love the Eiffel Tower!! Been several times and climbed a few too. 😉 Great E post!Stopping by through A to Z.. .www.diaryofasquaretoothedgirl.blogspot.com

• Faye North says:

Hi:Stopping in with A-Z and I love your blog. I'm a fellow travel junkie! I haven't climbed the Eiffel Tower, but I did do the Tower at Notre Dame Cathedral. Felt the burn but it was worth it for the views.I'll be checking in again!Faye at Destination: Fiction

• Thank you for sharing this. I love to travel and have been stuck in one place for far too long. Although I was in France, I never did make it to Paris, but I hope to one day.Have fun with a-z.

• Anna says:

I also opted to climb up the Eiffel Tower when I went. I took many pictures from the top and almost dropped my camera (a heart-stopping moment if ever there was one!). I met one of my friends-for-life there, she was on a trip from America with her mum and in the queue in front of me and my mum.I'm also doing the a to z challenge. Good luck!

• Marie says:

We too climbed up the Eiffel Tower–not so much to save money but to skip the lines!! We were there in August, when the Parisians had all left but the rest of the Europeans descended onto the city! We had a four-year-old in tow, and my husband did end up carrying him part of the way. I agree–the views are worth the climb!

• Shere says:

My next weekend escape is going to be Paris, I've been there two times already and I took the elevator as we didn't have so much time.Shere from http://www.shereypaul.com

• memographer says:

A good post about your personal experience and interesting facts of the Eiffel Tower. I've taken an elevator to the top. I love Paris. There are so many sights to visit, that going to the same sight more than once feels like a waste of time :) May be next time I will climb it…

• Arianwen says:

I'm ashamed to say I took the lift. But I was so wobbly from the height I don't think my legs would have carried me up! Did you hear about the woman who actually 'married' the Eiffel Tower after 'having a relationship' with the Berlin Wall?! Just another fact to add to your list :)

PASSWORD RESET